Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Thanksgiving?

I tried calling Gram right after work yesterday.  She told her nurse to tell me to call her back after 6:30.  She said she would be in her bedroom by then using her louder phone.  You all know which phone that is.  In case you don't, here's a reminder:



I didn't remember to call Gram back until 11:00.  Since she has called me past this time, I figured there was nothing to lose.

I was at Sam's watching a scary movie and drinking a jug of wine.  Sam wanted to hear Gram so I put her on speaker phone.  The last time I called Gram past 10 p.m., she said, "What time do you think I go to bed?"  This time, however, she was wide awake.  I told her I was at my friend Sam's.  She said, "Yeah."  Then she asked, "When ya comin' home?"  I told her I would be home Halloween weekend.  "Thanksgiving?" she said.  I repeated, "HALLOWEEN."  She said, "Thanksgiving?"  I again repeated, "OCTOBER 31st, HALLOWEEN."  She said, "Your birthday?"  She then proceeded to tell me my birthday was November 28th.  At least she got the date right.

Gram told me (us, unknowingly) that she was watching the baseball game.  "THE NEW YORK YANKEES AGAINST THE LOS ANGELES ANGELS."  She then asked, "How's your apartment?  Do you need any furniture?"  I told her my apartment was great, but I needed a bureau.  She said, "That's too bad, I just gave away my mirror."  

I again told Gram I was at my friend Sam's.  She again said, "Yeah."  Gram told me she looked forward to seeing me.  In her head, that will be at Easter.  "Love ya honey bunch.  Bye now."

In other 85-year-old women updates:  Richard's grandmother again wrote a check out to him as Bichard.  Also, when he dropped her off this week she asked him to fix her TV.  Then she wanted him to put on channel 402.  When he looked at the title, it was "Naughty Nurses."  She was probably trying to find the ball game.

1 comment:

  1. okkk i hope this comment works....but i absolutely love it :) when ya comin' home? THANKSGIVING!!?? haha she's the best. nice work mlang

    ReplyDelete