Tuesday, October 6, 2009

"I don't think so."

I called Gram tonight.  We screamed for about four minutes.  I asked her what she was doing. "Resting," she said.  She told me she was going to call me last night, but my phone was in the other room.  I said, "my phone was in the other room?"  She clarified that my phone number was in the other room.  I wouldn't want to impose on her to walk to the other room to look up my number.  Then she tried reciting my number."TWO! ONE! TWO!"  I stopped her at the second two.  I yelled, "TWO! ONE! EIGHT!"  Then she said, "what's after that?"  I said, "seven."  She said, "I don't think so."  Ok.  I tried giving her the rest of my number, but she had already moved on to telling me she had a delicious shepherd's pie for dinner.

Gram told me her lamp was broken.  I think she meant her light bulb was out.  She told me she was afraid to change the channel on her television as she doesn't like dealing with electricity. Again, she asked me when I was "comin home."  I told her I would see her at the boys birthday party.  "THAT'LL BE GOOD!  CALL ME TOMORROW!"  I hung up before trying to tell her that I would call her tomorrow as she had already hung up on me.

Since our conversation tonight ended rather abruptly, (then again, what else is new?) I will share this Phyllis tidbit.  A few weeks ago, Gram started taking a new medicine in addition to her twenty or so prescriptions.  Unrelated to this new prescription, I asked Gram if she liked wine.  "Ohhh, I can't have that now," she said. "Not with my new prescription."  I was just being a wise ass, though I was curious if Gram had ever liked wine.  However, Gram has never had a sip of alcohol in front of me, but now, it's her new prescription that prevents her from drinking. Listening to Gram speak got me to thinking, maybe Gram is where I get my drinking voice from.  Her voice is high pitched. When I drink with friends, I tend to get what my friend Vinnie labeled my seagull voice.  It's very high pitched.  I liked to think that it was my Nana.  Before she passed away she said would return to this life as a seagull.  Now, I am thinking, maybe I just sound like Gram and inevitably, I will have her voice.  I have video of Gram's voice-the "flattered?" clip and my seagull voice coming out this past weekend below.  Now, I wonder, is it Nana?  Or, is it Phyllis?   (Ignore the fact that I thought my picture was being taken.  Silly.)  If it's Nana, she's lucky.  I would love to return to this life when my youngest granddaughter got drunk.



1 comment:

  1. You should be phyllis voice over, you sound just like her when you have a little bit to drink! Haha.

    I am so happy about that one!

    ReplyDelete