Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Don't go to Rite Aid



The plan was to pick Gram up at 9:00 on Saturday and go to breakfast. I called her Friday night and she sounded excited about our date. Normally when I arrive at Gram’s, the door is open and she is standing with her walker, ready to go. However, when I arrived this time, the door was closed and Gram was not in her living room. I walked to her bedroom. I saw that Gram was not dressed for breakfast and her teeth were not in.

I screamed her name seven times to no avail. On the eighth scream, she looked up at me and laughed. “Oh! I forgot all about you!” That was clear. I really just wanted her to put her teeth in her mouth at this point. As I helped Gram tie her shoes, she told me to never go to the drug store Rite Aid. “They are crooks! Go to Walgreens.”


We enjoyed our breakfast at Friendly’s. Gram asked if I could stop and get her some grapes at the grocery store. I left her in the car with the windows down. This worries me, as I am afraid someone might take her, but she was disrobing because she was hot. She was still there when I got back. She asked how much she owed me for the grapes. I told her they were my treat.


Later that day, Gram called my sister’s house. She asked for me. Gram wanted to go to breakfast the following morning. However, I was planning for a hangover and told her we could go to lunch the following Saturday. When we spoke last night, she asked when I would be home next. I reminded her that we were going out on Saturday. She told me she was looking forward to that. I was in the middle of asking where she wanted to go when she said, “Ok, honeybunch. I am going to eat some turkey now. Bye dear.”

Dirty teddy bear:


No comments:

Post a Comment