Monday, December 6, 2010

"CIAO."

Tis the season for holiday parties. I have two this weekend, three next weekend and then it's Christmas.  My work Christmas party is tonight  After a fancy dinner, we're going to "da club", so I knew I would not be allowed to roll up in my usual homeless attire.  "What, you don't like my XL male hoodie, boss?"  I am not what you would call trendy. I think the last time I wore a skirt was the 90's.  That's not true, but it has been years.  I'm more of a jeans or yoga pants kind of gal.  Anyway.  I knew I had to step it up.  As you all know, I think shopping is for the devil.  I despise it.  It took me three shopping trips to find an outfit to wear.  First trip, I bought a little black dress to wear with leggings and boots.  Looked great at the store.  Then I went home and tried it on.  I looked like I was dressing up as a slutty witch on Halloween.  Kath def would not have approved. Then I tried on a green shirt, again with the leggings and boots.  Initially, I thought, "Oh, cute!"  Then I realized I looked like Peter Pan.  I suppose I have a new outfit for the bus.



My last resort was a fetch little store in the North End.  Normally when a retail employee asks me if I need help, I avoid eye contact and say, "I'm all set, just looking!"  This time, when the lady asked if there was anything specific I was looking for, I replied, "Yes! Something for my work party that goes with leggings and boots.  And it has to cover my ass." She immediately went to work.  She found a few items and I said I would start with those.  She also suggested a belt to wear, but I politely declined.  I love the Kardashian's, but I would look like an ass dressing like one.  I only tried on one item and it met the criteria above.  Sold.


In other news.  Still haven't done too much Christmas shopping.  However, that is because I have a personal shopper.  Thanks, sista friend!  Thanksgiving was lovely.  It was wonderful spending an entire day with Phyllis.  She looked marvelous.  And, I was not too hung over like last year.  My brother-in-law's (hey, cognato!) grandmother from Italy moved to the states recently and was also in attendance.  Phyllis was glad to have someone close to her age to talk to, even though Bisnonna does not speak English.  At one point, Gram yelled across the table, "NOW. JUST SAY YES OR NO.  DO YOU LIKE LIVING IN THE UNITED STATES?"  That's almost like the time I met Vinnie's cousin from Italy.  I was introduced to his cousin and I said, "CIAO."  He looked at me a little strangely and said "Ciao" back.  Only later when he was speaking perfect English did I realize it was his cousin from East Longmeadow, Massachusetts.  Phyll and I make a great team.  We are great with the I-talians.

I am getting closer to my 30s.  Wonderful.  My sister was a sketch and told me she would drive me back to Boston as a birthday present.  I thought, OK.  The plan was to get Indian takeout for my family birthday bash.  Kath does not eat any food other than traditional grilled chicken sandwiches, "MayoonthesidenotomatocanIhavecoleslawinsteadoffriesIdon'tknowifIlikeyourfriessoIdon'twanttochanceitOHand canIhaveaDietCokewithjustalittlebitoficeactuallycanyouputtheiceinaseparateglassthanksmarie"  So, I thought we each could eat what we wanted in the comfort of my sista's home.  Mom could have a Diet Coke and not worry about the amount of ice and I could get some chicken masala.  I napped while waiting for the food.  I was exhausted from waking up at 3:17 a.m. for the Black Friday excursion.  I didn't even bother showering that day.  What.  Meaghan asked if I could get the door for delivery.  I hate when she does that.  I don't like talking to strangers.  We fight over who has to call for takeout constantly.  I grabbed the money from the counter and opened the door. The handsome Indian delivery man said, "Hey."  I looked at him. I said, "Hi" and looked down to count the money.  When I looked back up, I realized it was the bf.  What a guy.  He even had the food.

I don't have any other updates.  My CF and I chatted for two hours and 20 minutes the other night.  We have a wine date next Friday.  I can't wait. I will have to tell her to hold off on watching our latest favorite Bravo show so we can watch together like old times.  Actually, we will probably both have watched it and just want to watch it again.  Anyway.  I'll end by posting this gem of a song.  You're welcome.




No comments:

Post a Comment