Monday, December 28, 2009

"Where'd you get that extra year?"

I called Gram tonight thinking I would only be able to leave her a message.  A man with a thick and what I presume to be Jamaican accent answered and went so far as to find Gram and bring her to the phone.  Thank you, kind sir.

Before I could say a word, Gram screamed, "HI MEREDITH!"  I didn't even tell the gentleman my name. "I was going to call you today, but I only had a dollar." she said.  "Only FOUR ONE THREE phone numbers are free."  Again, I told Gram that I had a 413 number.  "Where are ya?"  Gram thinks my being in Boston even with a 413 area code means she would have to pay.  I am going to have to explain this in detail when I see Gram on Thursday. 

Gram asked how my vacation at Robert's was.  (I was there for 20 hours.)  I told her I had a wonderful time in Marblehead.  "I keep busy, busy here."  she said.  "With occupational therapy, physical therapy, Bingo."  I asked if she won at Bingo and she replied, "Yeah." From talking to Kathy Lang prior to Gram, I knew Gram received her Christmas card:



I told Gram that I had heard she received a special card in the mail.  "Oh, that's right!  I sure did."  She went on to say that she loved my card and it was "full of chuckles" and was "fun".  I have a tendency of giving funny cards, whereas my sister always gives "lovely" cards.  A few birthdays ago, Meaghan did not have time to get Gram a birthday card.  I being the best sister, said I would pick one out.  I picked out a wise-ass  card from myself and a laced schmaltz one from Meaghan.  Gram smirked at my card.  When she opened Meaghan's she nearly cried and said, "Oh. Meaghan.  You always pick out the loveliest cards."  She sure does.

 "The young man that answered the phone asked me how old my daughter was." Gram said.  "I told him, 'That's not my daughter, that's my granddaughter.'"  Gram's voice became even higher when she quoted herself.  "I told him you were 25."  I corrected Gram and told her I was 26.  "YOU'RE NINETEEN?"  I laughed and repeated 26.  "Where'd you get that extra year?"  she asked.  "1983."  I replied.  She chuckled at that. "The young man wants to meet ya. He told me he did!"  I am not sure if this is true or not, but I yelled at Gram and told her that I would not be dating her nurses aide (that she met in rehab).  I hope she doesn't give him my phone number.

Back to the card.  Gram asked when I was coming to visit.  I told her Thursday.  "Bring me some pens!  And some stamps!"  I told her I would.  "Honest to God, Honey Bunch.  And, I am not lying,"  Gram started to say. "I wanted to write you back, but I don't have any pens.  I mean that."  I believe that she didn't have a pen. However, I know (we all know) that she would not have written me back. 

"Well Honey Bunch, I look forward to seein' you on Thursday."  I told Gram the same and that I would call her to find out her schedule.  Cross your fingers for Bingo.

Lost Phyllis phootage.




No comments:

Post a Comment