Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Towels and dirty teddy bears

I saw Gram this weekend at my niece's Christening. She looked marvelous. She had on a dress I have never seen before and when I complimented her she patted her sleeve and said, "oh this old thing." I should ask my mom if she just bought it for her. Gram pulled me close to her walker seat and told me she was downsizing and asked if I needed some towels. Her sister gave her some and she has no use for them. I told her I would take them.

Gram and I had a photo shoot as we were both looking our personal bests. We were both having great hair days and I was tan. Phyllis also deserves to have a flattering picture of herself up here. After the 19th shot, Gram remarked that she didn't realize she was such a scoop.

After the christening, I called my cousin. I won't name him, as he will kill me when he reads this, but I have to share. He couldn't make it to the event because he had a cold. He asked how Gram was and I told him she was good. He said, "oh, I have to call and thank her for something." Clearly, he wanted me to ask what the something was. "She swore me to secrecy, I can't tell you." I told him I wouldn't tell anyone. (Sorry ahead of time) "She gave me our grandfather's watch." I told him that I was not upset. I thought it was great that his downsizing gift was something with real meaning and I am getting re-gifted towels and that she will probably try for the 36th time to give me one of two oversized filthy teddy bears. I should mention that we never met our grandfather. He died in 1953. I wish I could say that the teddy bears were his, but Gram bought those in 1995.

When Gram and I spoke tonight, she sounded tired. She told me the christening was just lovely. We spoke only a few minutes until she said, "I think I am going to hit the hay early."

"Good night, dear."

No comments:

Post a Comment