Thursday, August 27, 2009

Drinking problems and euthanasia

Today was my work's annual summer outing. We went on a river cruise and drank all day. I probably had six beers in a four hour time span. I had plans to go walking with my friend Michelle after the outing. I almost broke them to continue the drinking, but Michelle is helping me move on Sunday and I don't like to burn bridges. Plus, I love walks with Michelle. I decided to take a nap prior to her arrival. I woke up to her walking up the stairs in my apartment. I had left the door unlocked. I was passed out face down on my couch. I told her that I might be a little drunk for our walk, but that didn't faze her.

Walks with Michelle are one of my most favorite things. We talk about everything and she always laughs at my jokes. I told her that I found out my ex is online dating. I said, "maybe he'll find his dream girl." Michelle asked who that might be. I told her someone with a drinking problem. I said that because he had a tendency to drink too much at times.  Michelle pointed out that I was practically drunk at 5:00 on a Thursday afternoon and power walking. Pot calling the kettle black really rang true at that moment.

After the sobering walk, I called Gram. She said she was in bed watching TV as she had a very busy day. Gram and my mother met with Gram's lawyer followed by dinner at Friendly's. Gram living on her own is getting to be too much and she needs assisted living. My mom called me after I spoke with Gram and gave me the rundown. When she arrived at Wood End Road, Gram was sitting in her recliner with three blank pieces of paper.  My mom asked what she was going to ask the lawyer.  "I don't have any questions for him." The lawyer asked Gram if she wanted a living will.  Gram said, "like euthanasia? Is that approved by the Catholic Church?"

I asked if she had dessert at Friendly's. She said that she did and it came with the meal. I asked her what she had. She said, "some kind of ice cream." Gram can be vague at times. Before Easter, I asked what she planned to wear. She said, "somethin."

She asked when I was coming home next. I again told her Labor Day weekend. Gram definitely did not have her teeth in. She yawned throughout most of the conversation, so for once I told her that I would let her go. The fact that she had already taken her teeth out meant she was ready for bed. "HAHA, OK dear," she yelled. "Love you."

No comments:

Post a Comment