Thursday, March 22, 2012

Until next time.


Hi all.  It has been a while.

This will be the final post on Phyllis.  Sorry bitches. 

Gram passed away on St. Patrick's Day and it just doesn't feel right to keep on posting here.  However, I will eventually start somethin' else and hope you will follow me there.

People have asked sista if I was planning do a final post and while I feel strange doing so, I owe it to Gram and her followers. 

I am not used to the fact that she's not here and I randomly cry at the thought.  My aunt put it best when she said she thought she'd live forever.  I did too.  

I am so very sad that she's not here to make me laugh anymore, but I am happy she's at peace.  I am also happy because she knows I will be okay.  She met the love of my life.  NO, not salsa con queso.  The bf.  She loved him.  So much so that she gave JP slobbery kisses on his neck every time she saw him.  I think she enjoyed visits from him almost as much as visits from me even if he is addicted to drugs. http://phyllisismyhero.blogspot.com/2010/11/must-love-gran-crackers.html#links

I had the honor of giving Gram's eulogy.  I hate public speaking more than slow mall walkers.  I somehow managed to get through it. I  even looked at the crowd!  That part was easy because I can't see for shit.  Anyway.  Here's to Gram:

Gram was the strongest woman I know.  She had to overcome many obstacles and hardships throughout her life.  When she was just 29 years old, her husband died and she raised three daughters on her own while working many jobs to support them.  Education was very important to Gram with each daughter going on to become successful college graduates with careers in healthcare and education.

Not only did Gram raise a family by herself in the 50’s, a time when it wasn’t typical for women to work outside the home, she was a three-time cancer survivor.   I remember her complaining if we had more French fries than her on our plates at Friendly’s, but never once about treatments or the many doctor appointments.

Gram was always there for me, for us.  Irish dancing, soccer games, basketball games, graduations, spelling bees, first day of school, last day of school, fifth day of school.  Every day.  She was there for us.  My dad liked to joke that she would drop off a pencil just so she could see us.  She loved her family more than anything and we all loved her.

My favorite thing about Gram was her sense of humor.  She made me laugh more than anyone.  There are too many stories to tell, but I will touch on the memories that stick out in my mind.

Her love of driving.
Trips to the Base.
Her gourmet goulash.  The cooking channel is still asking for the recipe. Tomato soup, browned beef and macaroni elbows.
Her love of gran crackers and steadfast denial of her addiction.  I always told her I’d be her sponsor.
Sleepovers at her house with my sister and her bed slats breaking.  And her belly laughter and teeth falling out.
Her Irish pride.  I would go to her house to pick her up for a breakfast date and the house would be shaking.  The Irish Hour was on.

Death is so final and the thought that Gram isn’t here anymore is overwhelming.  It is so hard to believe that I won’t walk into her room and hear her ask “Got any candy?”  Love however, isn’t final.  Our love for Gram will live on.  I think of how hard it is for all of us that she’s no longer here and wonder how we’ll survive. Then I think, Phyllis would survive this and I know that she instilled some of that strength in all of us so that we can make it. She had such a devout faith and it’s her faith that helps me know I will see her again.  I think that when my time is about to come she will be waiting in heaven with a gran cracker in hand watching a Red Sox game.  She will say, “It’s time to come home honey bunch.”

I’m very sad that Gram never made it to Ireland, the home of her favorite patron saint.  I think I speak for the family, when I say it brings us all great comfort that she held on for thirteen days and passed on St. Patrick’s Day.  We like to think Tom was in a Cadillac, a car Gram always wanted with a full tank of gas waiting to embark on their new adventure together.
 
May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

I love you Gram.  Bye now.


No comments:

Post a Comment