Wednesday, July 28, 2010

"GRAN CRACKER HOUSE"

I headed home to see Phyllis last Friday afternoon.  I left work earlier than normal as the 1:30 Peter Pan bus includes a layover.  Anyway.  My visit was a surprise  When I told a friend I was planning to surprise her, he said, "What's the surprise?"  My visit, dumbass.  He proceeded to imply that this was a lame surprise.  I said, "I'll bring some treats."  He said, "BRING HER A GRAN CRACKER HOUSE!"  That was a wonderful idea, but I had no time to perform such a task.  He also added, "Make an extra house to play Godzilla with. Walk around your apartment roaring and then step on it."  Maybe next time.



If you can remember, Gram hadn't been feeling well the last time I visited.  I wasn't sure what to expect.  Kath picked me up at the bus station. When we arrived at rehab, Gram was asking a nurse when the next movie and popcorn night was.  Phyllis asking about food was a good sign.  When she saw me, her face lit up.  "Hi, honey bunch!"  she said.  Another good sign.  She told me I looked wonderful.  I returned the compliment.  Gram's cousin Marcia was also visiting so it was a small reunion.  Kath and Marcia caught up while Gram and I chatted.  Gram told me she'd lost some weight.  A moment later she offered me half of a chocolate chip cookie that she had in her lap.  I declined.  I said, "Any new boyfriends?"  She said, "Not like you!"  After a bit of teasing, a small woman in all pink walked by.  Gram rolled her eyes and told me she hated the woman.  "Christ sakes, she drives me nuts! Always following people.  She's horse manure."  Gram behaved though when the woman blessed us in French. 

My mom had a few pictures to show Gram.  There was one of my nieces and nephews.  Gram looked and remarked that Nicholas was thinner than Anthony.  I told her Nicholas was taller and that was why he appeared thinner.  "Well, Anthony's got a belly."  Marcia and I both said, "He's two!" Gram's eye's widened and she said, "HE'S GOT TWO BELLIES?"  Who knew babies were supposed to sport six-packs?

Needless to say, I was thrilled to see Gram as her fiesty, fresh self again.  She even called me last night for the first time in months.  To see if I "still" had a boyfriend.  I am not sure whether to be flattered or offended at her concern.

After visiting with Gram, I did a bit of drinking while filming a special video for the Bridezilla and her groom.  I can't say much as my oh so creative Jewish friend would kill me, but it's going to be fantastic. The following morning, Kath, Meaghan and I were off to Boston to join my CF and celebrate Kath's 60th birthday.  I always get mom gift cards and wanted to do something different.  I found her a special birthday card to write inside and let her know what the plan was:


Kath laughed so hard, she cried.

On the drive east, I was playing with my phone.  Mom asked who I was texting.  I twirled my hair and said, "I am sexting."  She laughed.  At one point I asked if my dad was trying to get laid when Kath mentioned he ironed and vacuumed all in one day.  The rest of the ride was uneventful.  When we arrived in Boston, my CF joined us for lunch and manicures and pedicures.  I don't usually get bold colors on my nails.  I am a natural girl.  Karen always goes bright with nail polish names like, "Flirty Margarita".  I showed her my nude nail color and she asked if I wanted to be like Katie Holmes since she is so boring.  I think my CF is just jealous of my perfect nail beds.

After the manis and pedis, we ended the birthday celebration with dessert at Stephanie's.  We each ordered a dessert and passed them across and around the table multiple times.  When I remarked that the waitstaff was laughing at us, Karen said, "They should see us at Applebee's."  I was hoping Kath would do some birthday shots.  She had two glasses of wine.  Next year.

To end, I would like to say happy, happy birthday to my mom.  Kathy, you're my hero, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment